A Parrot allows the distiller to read the proof of the run in real time and is useful when making cuts during the distillation process. If your planing to make your own moonshine a Parrot is a great tool to have. This article will teach you how to make your own Parrot at home, anyone can do this with some basic soldering skills and a little free time. If you’re unfamiliar with soldering copper this article will help: How to solder copper – A beginners guide
- 1 X 2″ to 1″ Bell fitting CXC
- 1 X 1″ to 1/2″ Bell Fitting CXC
- 1 X 1/2″ x 1/4″ Bell Fitting CXC
- 1 X 1″ to 12″ Copper Pipe- You can use L or M grade copper. The M has a red stripe on the side, the L has a blue which is for high pressure. The Copper Pipe is more expensive and if you have a choice pick the M or the RED STRIPE.
- 1/4″ X 18 ” piece of soft copper pipe
- 1/2″ X 1 ” piece of copper pipe
- 1 x 6″ Round Copper Plate
- 95/5 Silver Solder and Flux.
If you build your own Parrot we would love to see it! Send us a picture or drop us a line and let us know how it went. You can also make a Youtube video and link back to our blog.
If Your Confused Watch This Video
Here’s a video that shows you how to build a Parrot
Now that we’ve completed the construction of the parrot, before we use it we need to give it a good clean. To do this follow the instructions on how to clean a homemade copper still before using. I won’t go over that again here as I’ve already gone into depth in the above article.
If your interested in building a new still or learning more about making moonshine here’s a few articles you might be interested in.
- How to Polish Your Copper Still or Parrot – No point in making a Parrot if you don’t know how to polish it like new.
- Constructing A Spirit Still and Gin Basket – Ever want to make gin here’s your chance.
- Proofing Your Moonshine Shake Test – Learn how to proof your moonshine the old fashion way
This article was written by: Anthony Zaca owner of Rainier Distillers
If your thinking about buying a Still check out rainierdistillers.com they have some amazing custom made stills.