How To Make Mexican Watermelon Moonshine – This Recipe is Great For The Summer Cottage
Mexican Watermelon Moonshine
I got this recipe while staying at a resort down in Mexico last year off the gardener at the resort. He was swigging back a flask of this stuff while working. After chatting with him for some time he offered me a swig. I was pleasantly surprised at his home made brew with great pride he shared with me his Watermelon Moonshine Recipe.
This recipe actually makes a Watermelon Wine that taste great on it’s own. If you would like to take it one step further you can turn it into Moonshine by Distilling. I’ll walk you through the entire process and you can choose how far to take it.
- 30lb of watermelon
- 2 pound of raisins ( you can use fresh grapes but they cost more)
- 8 lemons
- 5 lb of sugar
- 2 packets bread yeast (or wine yeast)
- Large pot
- Blender or Food processor
- 2 Food Grade plastic pails
- A large paddle or spoon for stirring
- Glass carboy or food grade plastic fermentation bucket
- Pot Still ( If your choosing to make Watermelon Wine into Moonshine)
Procedure for Making Watermelon Mash
Step 1 – Cut up Watermelons and remove rind
Step 2 – If you have a Juicer proceed to Juice all Watermelon. If not you’ll have to do it the old fashion way. Using your blender blend all the watermelon to a puree
Step 3 – Filter using cheese cloth to separate all the pulp out from the juice. ( If your using the Juicer method you can skip this)
Step 4 – Pour the Watermelon juice into a large pot and add 5 lbs of sugar. As your adding the sugar make sure you have someone else stirring at the same time.
Step 5 – Add Raisins to pot
Step 6 – Squeeze lemons and add to pot.
Step 7 – Turn the heat on and heat Watermelon Mash up to boil for 5 minutes.
Step 8 – Measure volume of Watermelon mash. You want exactly 5.5 gallons top up as needed with spring water
Step 9 – Pour mash back and forth several times between two sterilized pails to aerate mash. This helps promote a healthy yeast. Now cool to 80 F
Step 10 – Make a yeast starter while your waiting for Mash to cool
Step 11 – Once the Watermelon Mash has cooled to below 80 F add Yeast starter and mash to fermenter/Carboy. Seal up using a Airlock
Step 12 – Place Fermenter in room with a temp of at least 70 F for up to a week until fermetation process is complete.
Step 13 – Once Fermentation is complete transfer contents over into Pot Still and Distill.
Watermelon Moonshine Mojitos: serves 2
- 3 ounces Watermelon Moonshine (or Everclear if you can’t find moonshine)
- 1/4 cup club soda
- 24 fresh mint leaves
- 6 1-inch cubes of fresh watermelon if using Everclear
- crushed ice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Muddle watermelon, mint, sugar and lime juice with the Watermelon moonshine.
- Fill two serving glasses with crushed ice. Pour half of muddled drink into each glass of ice. Top with club soda. Garnish with watermelon, lime wedge and mint leaf, if desired.
Or your could just dump your batch into one of these!!
Common Questions About Watermelon Moonshine Recipe
Can I add more sugar to this recipe to give me greater quantities of Watermelon Moonshine?
- You can however you will directly impact the quality of your final product. As a common rule distilleries never produce spirits with a starting alcohol higher than 8-10% due to the impact on flavor.
I don’t have a still can I still make Watermelon Moonshine?
- I’d suggest you add more sugar to the original recipe this will make the alcohol content higher and directly bottle the Watermelon Mash once it is done fermenting. This will give you what is called a Watermelon Wine instead of Moonshine.
More Moonshine Recipes You Might Be Interested In
- Apple Pie Moonshine Recipe
- Peach Pie Recipe
- Easy Rum Recipe
If you have questions or would like to tell us how your batch of Watermelon Moonshine / Wine turned out leave us a comment below. We would love to hear from you!
Leave a Reply